Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Miracle on 1st North

This story began three L.O.N.G years ago. David and I decided we wanted to have our family grow. After about eight months of trying we decided to go to the Doctor. Long story short we were told that we would have to do Invitro to have a baby.

We were devastated for many reasons but one being the cost of the Invitro. It can cost up to $15,000. We were referred to a specialist at the University of Utah. While we were there visiting with our Doctor. he told us about the Miracle Fund. The Miracle Fund is a grand given by an anonymous donor that pays for Invitro for couples who can only get pregnant through Invitro. It is only given to certain candidates, so we began the process. We had to have two interviews, five letters of recommendation & tax, family and work records. It was an extremely long process. We received a letter stating that we were CHOOSEN, our application had been accepted.We were so thrilled, but we still had to get through one more part of the process. We had a social worker come to our home to visit with us, after an interview a look at the house and two private interviews he left and said we would be getting a letter in the mail saying whether
or not we "really" got accepted. We received our second letter and we were ACCEPTED! We felt so blessed and were so excited that we were getting closer to our dream coming true.

This is the Day we received our first letter, we went to Olive Garden to celebrate.
We were thrilled, now time to play more of the waiting game, and go to tons of Dr. Appointments. We were originally scheduled to do the Invitro in November but than ran into some chromosomal issues that are genetic and run all through David's family. We eventually got that all sorted out :)

and I started my shots.... I was very hormonal to say the least. LOL, I have a high tolerance for pain and thought it was kind of cool to give my self shots. At one point I was giving myself three shots a day in my stomach. Now I am only taking one shot a day in my back muscles, which really hurts and is a lot bigger than my tummy needles were. I can't wait to be done with these ones. April 16th will be my last day. I am on the count down.

Here are my "eggies" They are ready in this ultra sound, and will be taken out two days after this picture was taken. They were HUGE. My Dr. was so funny, here are some of his quotes
"WOW, I am intimidated by your ovaries"
"Your uterus is just gorgeous"
He was very impressed by my eggs, and how large they got.
After that Dr. Appt, we drove by this little restaurant. I laughed so hard and though it was very appropriate for us.

David and I were killing some time in Salt Lake waiting for a call from our Dr. so we went to this little Duck Pond he used to go to when he was a little boy. It was gorgeous.


This is his Grandma's old house. It was just down the street from the duck pond.

Ready for the egg retrieval, The most painful day of my life. First of all the nurse burst my vein trying to put the IV in. They gave me two types of medicine one that makes you super tired so you practically sleep through the procedure and one to help you forget. Well the sleep one didn't work on me and I felt everything. They put a needle of the end of an ultra sound wand and extract your eggs out of your ovaries by pulling them through the needle. I was moaning in agony and poor David passed out. (hehe) I remember the nurses telling him to put his head between his knees and then he had to be wheeled out in a wheel chair to get some juice. I don't know if it was the sight of the needle and blood or me being in pain, either way I thought it was pretty comical. They got 14 Eggs, which was awesome because the Doctor said the most he usually gets is ten.
After the egg retrieval they put the sperm and the eggs together by sucking up the sperm into a needle and injecting it into the eggs. They then let them sit for five days. They called us and said we had six embryos growing and maturing. YAY!

This is the DAY of the actual Invitro. They used a catheter and put it into my uterus, they then put the embryos in through the tube. It was cool because we got to watch it on a big screen.

These are the two embryos they put in. They were the most developed and mature ones.
Now home to bed rest......
Thanks to everyone who brought dinner, treats & flowers. You are the best. I really appreciated it and I know David did :)

I was still taking it easy on Valentines, but we did get out of the house and went to eat at Texas Road House! Thanks babe!

After the invitro we had to wait two weeks go back down and take a blood test to see if I was pregnant. We went at eight in the morning. The Nurse said they would call with the results in a couple or hours. (couple means two right?) So at about two and a half hours I made David call and ask if they were done, she said the results usually get to her desk at noon. Well they go to lunch at noon so we knew we wouldn't be getting the call for awhile. We were both so nervous. I felt like I was giving a talk in church. LOL. well after five hours and forty five minutes they finally called
and
.................................................................................................................................

................................................................................................................................

................................................................................................................................
We're having a BABY!!!
It's such a MIRACLE. We are so blessed. Thanks to everyone for the prayers and fasts in our behalf. We love you all. Special shout out to those who wrote letters of recommendation.
Biggest thanks to Heavenly Father who knows my heart and made this possible. I am SOOO grateful for modern medical technology. It's AMA....ZING!

35 comments:

Kelsie said...

Congratulations! I was bawling reading this, having been through some baby issues myself. I know that you will be a fabulous mother. I am beyond happy for you!

Kelsie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelli Roholt said...

oh my gosh Amy!!!!!!!!!! I am sososososososos happy for you and david!!!! i know how badly you have wanted this and cant wait to hear all the updates! you will be an amazing mom!!! love u cute girl!!!

Christina Olson said...

What an AMAZING story!! It is such a blessing and I'm soooooo excited for you!! You will make wonderful parents. I hope the pregnancy goes smoothly!

Anonymous said...

Oh sweet Amy! I am so happy for you! You and David will be great parents! Heavenly Father does know our desires. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :)

DGri said...

This is a wonderful story. While reading it I kept thinking, "she is a trooper, holy crap she is a trooper." I admire you a lot. Way to keep a positive attitude. Enjoy the road ahead, you deserve it :).

Holly said...

Wow Amy! I had NO idea in all that time I came to your house. I'm so very happy for you guys and I hope it all works out (and your pregnancy goes quick!!) Love you and so so happy for you! Keep us updated on the blog about how you're doing.

The Bryger Family said...

WHOOT WHOOT!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you guys so much. Heavenly Father truely does know you and I am so thankful that Prayers and fasts were answered. I can't wait for little David or Amy to join the Merrell clan. Life is wonderful, all is well. LOVE YOU!!!!

Loves
your sis
Kasey

A little Birdie... said...

Alrght, well its too early for me to call you, so a comment on here will have to suffice for now. CONGRATS! We are so happy for you and excited because you will make the best parents!

Brooke said...

Congrats guys!

Sherri Madson said...

How exciting! That is great news!

The Jensen's said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful story! You will make wonderful parents If you need anything let me know ! *hugs!*

Memories of My Justin said...

great new. i am so happy for you

Unknown said...

I am SO happy for you two!!! You have always been destined to be a mom, a great mom!!! My girlfriend just went through this exact thing and it worked for her too. Technology is amazing!!! Congrats!!! I hope your pregnancy is nice to you : )

Julie said...

Congratulations doesn't even begin to describe how happy I am for you two! Thank you for sharing, I loved reading it - please keep sharing along the way.

T, A, H1, H2, H3 said...

oh!! im so excited for you!! i have been thinking about you ever since aug, and was actually going to ask you about it this week! crazy! that is so great! truely a blessing! good luck with everything and i hope you keep updates and belly pics!(blog them for me to see!) they are so fun!

Davis Fam said...

Oh my gosh! Congratulations! I am so happy for you both!!

Lille and Timmy said...

Oh gosh, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is such a sweet, sweet story. Really is a miracle and such a blessing. So are you going to be having twins? I really am so excited for you two. You guys will be amazing. Congratulations again!

Dave and Jayme Richards said...

WOW!!! I am almost in tears Amy & Dave! What an amazing story. You, Amy, are tough! I don't think I could go through what you guys just have. Sounds painful & I certainly couldn't do the shots. The thought makes me uneasy.
I truly am happy for you both. As much as I whine about being pregnant, it is a miracle. And Heavenly Father does know when the time is right. You & Dave are going to be amazing parents. I have a high respect for the Merrell family & know that this little babe is going to be such a blessing in your home. Congratulations again!

Amy said...

YAY YAY YAY!!!!! Amy, that's awesome!!!!!!!! I have to call you...

Ashley said...

Wow! I'm so happy for you! I can't imagine how hard all of the waiting and wondering was for you two, but you are so right when you say Heavenly Father knows the desires of your heart. Congratulations! You will be such a wonderful mom!

Jazzy said...

Congratulations!!!! What an amazing, sad, happy, crazy roller coaster. I'm so happy for you both!

Jackie Norris said...

Aw, Amy! That's so great! I'm sorry you guys had to go through all of that but so happy it finally happened. I hope the pregnancy goes well for you! We'll keep you in our prayers.

Jaci said...

Holy moly!!!! that is incredible! Seeing all your eggs on the ultrasound made me think you will have triplets! Maybe twins? :) congrats you guys!!!!!

Coby and KaeDawn said...

That's amazing.. I am so happy for you! You will be such a cute mommy..Congratulations:)

Cami Jo said...

Amy, You have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since I read your card! I am so happy for you and David and know that you are going to be THE BEST MOMMY! It is truly a blessing =) I can't wait to read all about your pregnancy and watch your belly grow!!! I hope you're feeling well!

Tyler & Laura said...

Oh my gosh, Amy, I have goosebumps from HEAD TO TOE!! What a miracle :) And it couldn't have happened to a more wonderful, deserving couple. You two will make amazing parents. Congratulations!

TP said...

Congrats, miracles really do happen!

Mommamort said...

WOW!! CONGRATULATIONS Amy. I am so excited for you both. I know you have been working on it and a little bird spilled the news to me the other day. I was literally jumping up and down excited for you. You will be a incredible Mom. I am anxious to follow you through this event. Way to go Amy and David!!

The Miles said...

OH my AMAZING...what and inspiring story. I am so happy for you guys...way to tough it out Amy...your amazing! I enjoyed reading to story and the process, that was very interesting, thanks for sharing. You guys will be fabulous parents! Truly a Miracle:)

Kim Stierle said...

Uuumm Amy!!! I'm in tears right now!! Tears of joy! You are going to be such an amazing mom! What an incredible journey you both have been on, amazing!! Our Heavenly Father is miraculous!

Hope all is well, & You have a happy pregnancy! :)

M.S. said...

That was such a wonderful blog story to read. I'm glad you told us the entire process because I had no idea what it took! I'm so happy for you guys! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

David and Amy,
We can't tell you how excited we are for you guys! What a long road and I'm sure you have been through many struggles and hard times to get this baby here. You can tell that to him or her when they are being a snotty teenager someday!! haha! CONGRATS! CONGRATS! We know how much you guys wanted this!!! I can't wait to see updates on your blog! You are going to be such great parents. We should go out to dinner to celebrate!

Lindsay said...

Oops...That last comment from Robert was actually from me. I'm on my dad's computer (his name is also Robert) and was logged into his account on accident. Here's my comment again so you aren't confused...

David and Amy,
We can't tell you how excited we are for you guys! What a long road and I'm sure you have been through many struggles and hard times to get this baby here. You can tell that to him or her when they are being a snotty teenager someday!! haha! CONGRATS! CONGRATS! We know how much you guys wanted this!!! I can't wait to see updates on your blog! You are going to be such great parents. We should go out to dinner to celebrate!

Sara Anderson said...

Wow you have a lot of comments! I feel special when I get two! That's so crazy all you had to go through to get pregnant! But it was a success! Wow and yea for you guys! =D